About Me

My photo
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Hey Everyone! My name's Mitchell, and I'm in a ska band called Nobodies Home. This is my blog for anyone interested in our band, or ska in general! Each day I'll be posting a new band, so check back often for great new music!

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Another "E"xciting Post!

Band: The (English) Beat
Country: UK
Notable Album: I Just Can't Stop It
Favourite Song "Ranking Full Stop"

Well good evening to all you internet people! I thought today's installment could be something a little different - so I give you The (English) Beat! Known as The Beat in the UK, but as The English Beat in North America (there was another band already called The Beat), these Two-Tone rockers have been around since the late '70's! You may remember the song "Mirror In The Bathroom" - yup, that's them! Undergoing several lineup changes between their beginning, end, and reformation, they are now once again on tour playing their own brand of soul and reggae-infused British ska.

I Just Can't Stop It is actually the only Beat album that I can listen to all the way through. The others just don't have the same energy that this one does - and all my favourite ska tracks need to have that energy behind them to really allow me to enjoy them. Full of political messages, including lots about racial unity, these guys know how to speak and rock out at the same time! I nearly threw up from how lame that was... just sayin'. ANYWAYS, if you're a fan of any '70's or '80's ska, or you're interested in what kinds of music influenced current ska bands, check this album out!

Like always, I had a hard time choosing my favourite song - but this time, "Ranking Full Stop" takes the cake! This is one of the most fun songs I have ever heard, and although the entire album is full of energy, I chose this track because the offbeats were so much more apparent than with others. I love "Two Swords," "Tears Of A Clown" (Smokey Robinson & the Miracles cover, and a wicked one at that!), and "Best Friend," but "Ranking" is just perfection for these guys. Ranking Roger (get the title of the song now?) is featured doing his fun style of toasting throughout song, and that makes it one of the coolest songs I know.

And of course, you can buy their albums here - check back tomorrow for letter "F"! I am off to listen to the brand new New Riot tracks from their upcoming album!

No comments:

Post a Comment