About Me

My photo
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Hey Everyone! My name's Mitchell, and I'm in a ska band called Nobodies Home. This is my blog for anyone interested in our band, or ska in general! Each day I'll be posting a new band, so check back often for great new music!

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Really? X? This was a mistake.

So.  There are no ska bands that start with X, and I have no ska albums that start with X either.  So this was quite the challenge.  In my entire collection of 12,000 songs (yeah that's right - twelve THOUSAND), I have 5 songs that start with X, and 2 of them are ska songs!  So I'm gonna quickly talk about each of them, because neither are my favourites but they're still great songs.  So read on.  Open your mind to the possibilities.  Jedi stuff like that.


The first song is called X-Factor, and it's by a band called The Porkers.  They're from Australia which is super cool - they're the first Australian band on here!  Probably the last as well.  Oh well.  I don't know if they're still around (they were in 2008, it seems) and they're not one of my favourite bands, but every now and then I put on a Porkers track just to hear something different.  X-Factor is off their album Hot Dog Daiquiri, and it's actually not a song I listen to very much.  I have it on now, though, and it seems to be pretty good.  Some pretty cool horn shots, a great walking bass line, and Pete Cooper's thick Australian accent all make this a pretty enjoyable track overall.  I also recommend Swingin' Like Tiger Woods and Too Big For Your Boots as other great Porkers tracks.


The other song is by a band I listen to much more frequently - it's a song called X-Mas Card and it's by MU330.  Dan Potthast, who I talked about for the D band, is a really interesting musician - he writes songs that are so unique, you just have to hear them to understand.  X-Mas Card is a little different, slower and sadder and a bit less complicated, but it still showcases the unique sound that MU330 always had.  This song is off the album Crab Rangoon, which was still during MU330's "crazy" days before they released Ultra Panic.  Ultra Panic was actually my favourite album, but Crab Rangoon still had some cool songs, like Good Homes and Ireland (this version is Dan playing solo but the crowd loves it!).


Anyways, that was ridiculous.  Y is going to be much easier.  Maybe.  GOODNIGHT!

No comments:

Post a Comment