About Me

My photo
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Hey Everyone! My name's Mitchell, and I'm in a ska band called Nobodies Home. This is my blog for anyone interested in our band, or ska in general! Each day I'll be posting a new band, so check back often for great new music!

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

A Dan-"D" Post!

Band: Dan Potthast
Country: USA
Notable Album: Eyeballs
Favourite Song: "I've Set Sail"

Hello all! Today's installment of my blog is all about Mr. Dan Potthast, lead singer of MU330. Dan is a member of several different groups - MU330, his own solo career, another band called The Stitch-Up - he is about as active in music as you can get! However, I'm trying to focus on his solo career, especially his debut album Eyeballs. Mainly composed of just his vocals and guitar playing, and an accompanying bass (and several auxiliary instruments for fun), he's put together 14 tracks of very original ska, folky, acoustic music. As always, it's a little unknown if what Dan sings about is actually a metaphor for something, or just musical nonsense - but no matter what, the music is fun and fresh to listen to!

"I've Set Sail" is by far my favourite track on the album. As you may have noticed, the first track of an album makes the biggest impression on me, and "I've Set Sail" comes in right after the 23-second introduction. This particular track sticks with me because it's odd for Dan to write a "conventional" song with overly-used chord progressions - but he chose to do so on this track... and it works! I was always impressed with MU330 and Dan's solo work because they were so good at staying away from boring, old chord progressions, but it's almost refreshing to hear something familiar for once. And even though the music itself is not necessarily extremely original, Dan's singing style still makes the track his own - definitely worth the listen.

As always, feel free to purchase the album here - and stay tuned for letter "E" tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment