About Me

My photo
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Hey Everyone! My name's Mitchell, and I'm in a ska band called Nobodies Home. This is my blog for anyone interested in our band, or ska in general! Each day I'll be posting a new band, so check back often for great new music!

Thursday, February 3, 2011

"Y" oh "Y" do I only have "Y" albums and no artists?


Country: Canada (currently lives in USA)
Notable Album: Yard Sale
Favourite Song: Everything'll Be Alright


Guess what.  This is my second-last post on here.  Sad, right?  Only sort of.  I have been setting up a new blog in the background and it's looking pretty cool so far - no one knows where it is yet, but over the weekend I will launch it and you can all be like OH MY GOD MITCHELL ROCKS.  That is what your reaction will be.  Identical for everyone.  It's gonna be great.  So hopefully you'll all get to check that out later this weekend, but for now it's time to wrap things up!


It's obviously very hard to find XYZ bands, and I've been cheating - yesterday I did "X" songs, and today I have to do a "Y" album.  But I'm a punk rocker and I know that rules are meant to be broken.  So here I am, breaking rules.  Isn't this exciting?


Chris Murray is a Canadian musician, although he currently resides in California.  He played in King Apparatus, an awesome Toronto ska band, but they broke up and he moved on to a solo career.  He has released several full-length albums and a whole bunch of self-recorded, 4-track EP's.  He's also recorded albums for The Planet Smashers, and did a whole CD with the Slackers - Chris had lead vocals and the Slackers backed him (that is a sweet album).  Chris has also played shows with The Specials, and even played harmonica for Prince Buster back in 2003!  Needless to say, he has made a substantial impression on the ska scene.


Yard Sale is Chris' newest album, released in 2009, and it's actually a collection of unreleased tracks that have been recorded over the years.  There are lots of guest appearances on this album - the Slackers, the Aggrolites and even the Skatalites accompany Chris here and there throughout the album.  As with his other recordings, the lo-fi quality has this intimate, almost campfire-y feel to it.  This is a great album to listen to when you want to relax and enjoy the sunshine.  There really should be a lot of sun when you listen to this record.  And a beach if you have one.  Or if you're close to one.


Everything'll Be Alright is the first track off Yard Sale, and it features Chris, his guitar, and the Skatalites backing him.  The song is all about feeling good about yourself and your surroundings and, even if things look bad, knowing that you can get through them (even if you need your friends for support).  It's so great to hear some upbeat music that matters, instead of the silliness that a lot of 3rd-wave ska seems to evoke.  Chris is a quality musician - he can not only write catchy songs, but knows how to write the lyrics that fit them.  Everything'll Be Alright is a prime example of how his musicianship and penmanship go together hand-in-hand.


Well now!  That was a lot easier to do than yesterday!  I don't know if I'll be able to do "Z" tomorrow, but check back anyways for a farewell message and possibly a link to my new blog!  Pick up Yard Sale here, and have a happy second-last night!

No comments:

Post a Comment