About Me

My photo
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Hey Everyone! My name's Mitchell, and I'm in a ska band called Nobodies Home. This is my blog for anyone interested in our band, or ska in general! Each day I'll be posting a new band, so check back often for great new music!

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Not-Not-Not Dead Yet!

Country: UK
Notable Album: Myths, Lies And Hypocrites
Favourite Song: "Not Dead Yet"

Well howdy there folks, today is letter "I" for my ska blog! I figured I'd start off with some shameless advertising first though. My band Nobodies Home is playing a show on April 20 at L3 in St. Catharines. We are opening for Toronto ska-punk band The Flatliners, who are coming through St. Catharines for their first time since S.C.E.N.E. last summer! The event on Facebook, along with all related info, can be found here. We have a bunch of new songs, and I'll be extra excited, since it'll be the night after going to see THE SPECIALS in Toronto! Hope to see lots of people there!

Anyways, on to the music! The Infested are a crack rock steady band from the UK. If you don't like hardcore punk, or crack rock steady bands like Leftover Crack or The Antimaniax (from earlier in the blog), then you probably won't like this band. However, if you like a more hardcore, angry ska-punk / hardcore punk feel, you will love this band! With all songs on Myths, Lies And Hypocrites written by G Infested, the tracks are fast, intense, and to-the-point. Lots of quick ska-punk tracks mixed in with fast hardcore punk songs, I have had this album for 2 years and never gotten bored of it! Now, with that being said, if you want music variation, you will not find it on this album - the first three songs use the exact same chord progression, and that particular progression (some sort of transposed C, Em, Am, F) shows up a LOT throughout this album. But, I am a fan of such things - maybe I have no musicality to me at all - and I thoroughly enjoy each song on this album.

"Not Dead Yet" won the Favourite Song Race for me this time, but it just barely won against "You Think You're A Hero." Interestingly enough, neither of these songs are ska-punk - just straight-up fast hardcore punk-rock tracks. My favourite ska-punk on this album is "Keep Droppin'" and it gets the bronze medal for my favourite tracks. "Not Dead" and "Hero" both use this consistent chord progression, but in different keys - so listen closely, and you will know both songs off by heart in no time! "Friends/Mistakes" is also a great ska-punk track, with an almost hip-hop feel for most of it. It's actually the same chords as the other two, but just one position back - if we kept it in C, it would be Em, Am, F, C, and so on and so forth - so now you actually know three tracks!

The things that I find interesting about this band is the use of distorted vocals. I tried it once to freak out the guys during band practice and it definitely does NOT fit with anything except hardcore music! It's sometimes hard to hear what G is singing, but the music is so good I don't even pay attention to the lyrics anyways. If you pick up this album, turn your bass up! It's recorded without much low-end, but the bass lines are incredible in each song and the bass drum drives the music forward relentlessly - so if you can, PUMP THE BASS!

Pick up the album here if you like these tracks - I have a feeling the guys might really need the money!

No comments:

Post a Comment